Saturday 15 March 2008

Lynne discusses the envionment with Rock Legend Peter Gabriel


World renowned musician Peter Gabriel is also Head of Real World Records, the Founder of WOMAD, a Human Rights Activist and MIDEM’s Personality of the Year. Despite hobbling around after breaking a leg on a ski-ing trip early this year, he is still incredibly busy and difficult to catch up with.
“I was introduced to gardening when I was about 6 years old,” he recalls, “my sister Anne and I each had a small patch to plant up in our parent’s garden, between the swing and the house!”
“I can’t remember what we planted, probably annuals I think, but I enjoyed it then and I still do, though obviously I had more time at that young age. I love the wild English style gardening – the natural look. I love weaving willow too, it’s therapeutic and it looks so good.”
“I love to share my garden. The garden is a part of the whole living space. I don’t like to distinguish between house and garden. I am very much a people person and have always been interested in what people do. I have a real sense of wonder at what they are doing and get enthusiastic for them!”
Peter headlined Hyde Park Calling and WOMAD last year, fitting the rest of his tour around the concerts. They are very important to me,” he explained, “We asked people to submit, via our website, what they wanted to hear and the sets were planned around their preferences. It’s important to involve people and to give them a voice.”
Has gardening ever influenced his music? “Of course,” he laughs. “ When I was with Genesis we did a track called Return of the Giant Hogweed and how it was taking over the World! The video for “Eve” featured beautiful scenes from Stourhead and “Don’t Give Up” was written as a result of an American crop failure – it’s about the drought and the plight of the farmers. Nature has a huge influence on everything, music included.”
“That’s why we should have more respect for it and the environment. There are a lot of good things happening but we need to keep on. By speeding up the development of SCiB, battery technology will soon be good enough for the development of electric cars and planes. That would really make a difference.”
In 1999, Peter also instigated the formation of a new group of World Leaders known as the Elders . “Richard (Branson)and I thought there should be a new gathering of ‘Elders’, like traditional village elders, that would come together to guide and support our ‘global village’. The result is powerful group of people who have nothing to prove and who can speak freely and boldly. Their only agenda is for humanity. They believe that despite the awful things that are happening globally, all human beings are made for goodness.”
“I’m currently working on the music for a new Pixar movie called WALL -E, about a robot and waste alleviation – it’s very funny and will also raise awareness of the rubbish we generate. We can’t afford to relax about getting these messages across.”
Talking of relaxing, how does Peter Gabriel relax? He has earned a worldwide reputation for his innovative work as a musician, writer and video maker. When at school he co-founded the group Genesis, which he left in 1975. His albums, live performance and videos since then have won him a succession of awards. “I’ll let you into a secret,” he says, “Wales is where I relax. I love the tranquillity and peace of the Welsh countryside. My sister lives in Wales and I have been lucky enough to take my family there for the last two Christmases. The wonderful combination of family, fun and fresh air is what relaxation is about for me.”