Saturday 29 March 2008

As March ends Lynne talks to Top Chef Stephen Terry

Top Talk
When I ask Stephen Terry how he wants to be introduced, he modestly says “Pub Chef I s’pose, and Proprietor of The Hardwick,” (a Country Pub near Abergavenny). He is in fact a Michelin Star Chef, has worked with Marco Pierre White and earlier this week, won a regional heat which means he will now represent Wales in the prestigious BBC Competition, The Great British Menu. Competing against 6 of the Country’s top chefs Stephen admits, “I am really proud to represent my adopted Nation but I have been around long enough and cooking for long enough that I should be good at it! I’m passionate about what I do – that’s how you get good at anything.”
You can see Stephen in action on BBC 2 every weeknight next week at 6.30 pm and visit www.thehardwick.co.uk for more details including how to vote in the final. “It is an intense process,” he tells me. “The competition demonstrates modern British Cookery – the Chef’s have to be innovative and presentation of the dish is important, obviously. It’s all a bit fussy to be honest. In contrast, the philosophy of The Hardwick is all about the quality of ingredients and the dishes being seasonally led. I always find the ingredients first and then make the dish for the menu. We have great local produce and I am as loyal and committed to using them as I can be. Sometimes you can’t actually source a product locally so I end up ordering it from Covent Garden Market, only to find out that it originally came from just up the road. That’s crazy. A lot of Italian stock, like broad beans are ready earlier but I’d rather wait and get them from local suppliers. We are using fantastic forced Yorkshire rhubarb at the moment, it’s delicious and we’ll soon be having asparagus from Evesham, that’s grown under poly-tunnels so it’s available earlier.
A customer said to me the other night, ‘That spinach tasted amazing,’ I told him, “I’m glad but I’m the one did the least to it!”
Is Stephen ever tempted to grow his own veg? “All I know about gardening begins with ‘Naff’ and ends in ‘all’,” he laughs. “Given a chance I could do it – I am creative and creative people can be creative in any area. You need a few lessons on the subject but creativity and passion will get you there.”
“I haven’t got any knowledge about gardening but I can see if something needs doing. I’ll go out and scrape the weeds up from the car park and I’ve cut the hedge back with secateurs ‘cos I didn’t have any shears. It’s important to have the right tools. I’ve got all the right ‘toys’ in my kitchen and you haven’t, so it’s going to be easier for me!”
Stephen tells me how much he loves the countryside, the scenery, the fresh air, watching the wildlife in his back garden with his little girls, Phoebe and Olivia and how he loves the fact people toot and give him the thumbs up when he runs, “You can’t buy any of that,” he explains softly. Then, upping the tempo and in his endearing, forthright manner Stephen has a little rant, “I tell you what is annoying here though is that I can’t get a bottle bank. I have to drive into town with all the bottles– it takes ages and the wine left in the bottles spills in the car – it drives me nuts. I’ve asked the Council again and again but keep getting excuses. The last one was ‘we are rearranging the Department, could you call back?’ I don’t care what their rearranging – all I want is a bottle bank! Paper is also difficult, we print menus twice a day and get through loads of paper – it’s no good just telling people to recycle, it has to be easy, you have to get things right, people are busy. We are busy, this job is an all consuming beast. Jo (my wife) and I are fully committed to it, to using the right produce and to our customers. If we weren’t we wouldn’t be where we are now.”



Walk For Life
All across Wales tomorrow (30th March) people will be pulling on their walking boots to raise awareness of Kidney Disease in Wales. Coordinated by the Kidney Wales Foundation, this year’s event aims to raise £100,000 as Communities organise and participate in over 30 ‘local’ walks throughout Wales. This year’s Ambassador Colin Jackson, is encouraging everyone to don their trainers and make a difference to such a worthwhile Charity. All the Walks are open to everybody and your support will be greatly appreciated - just turn up on the day. I will be striding out at Cardiff Bay with comedian Rhod Gilbert, so come and join us if you can at St David’s Hotel & Spa at 11am. For more details visit www.kidneywales.com or call 02920 343940

Mowing Magic
Sales of lawnmowers are traditional at their highest over Easter, though I’m not sure that will have been the case this year. If you are still in the market for a new machine, have a look at the Robotic options. Not practical for every garden admittedly but if they do fit your plot and your budget, you’ll save a few hours walking behind a mower during the season. A low voltage electric cable fixed to the perimeter of the garden keeps the machine within your boundaries and they will run for three to four hours before recharging themselves. There are several models on the market and even the most basic will cope with areas of 400 sq yards and slopes of 30 degrees. Obstacles like trees and washing lines simply result in the machine realigning itself and continuing on its merry way.
Check out www.greenandeasy.co.uk , www.gardencut.co.uk or www.mower-magic.co.uk or larger DIY stores and Garden Centres.

Did You Know?
April is thought to have derived from the Latin word ‘aperire’ meaning ‘to open’. It is indeed the month where shiny new green leaves can be seen unfurling and opening up as the days lengthen and warm up.