Saturday 24 May 2008

Lynne talks to Alex Jones about Hip and Skip


Top Talk

TV presenter Alex Jones was almost as quick as I was to change back into jeans after a glamorous photo shoot to promote the George Thomas Hospice Celebrity Ladies Day Ascot Dinner. ‘”I’m working with kids at the moment on a series called Hip neu Skip (Hip or Skip) and it’s bliss going to work in jeans,” she admits. Sounds fun. “It is. It’s a sort of Changing Rooms for kids. Apart from a tree house that we did, all the makeovers have been indoors so far but we are planning to branch out to the garden. The kids love being outdoors. I’m sure being in the fresh air gives them even more energy.”

Is Alex keen to move the show outdoors too? “Definitely, I love being out. My boyfriend Matt and I walk a lot. We walked up Snowdon and I had new boots on. It was so painful; I had to peel them off at the end. I still enjoyed it though. I love living in town but we get out to the country to walk as often as we can. It’s so good for you. I work a lot in North Wales and it’s beautiful in the summer, I love the scenery there.”

Is her own garden in line for a makeover? “No, there wouldn’t be room for all the kids,” she laughs. “I call it a courtyard garden but Dad, Alun, calls it a path! I have room for a table and what I lovingly refer to as ‘the forest’, which consists of a pear tree, another tree but I don’t know what it is, and a few tulips. The pear tree is lovely but when you’re eating outside late in the summer the pears drop on your head. Dads good, he helps out – when he was over last time he said something about a plant and mumbled, ‘broom’ , so I went to get the brush! I’ve just added three stone-shaped solar lights too. They don’t give much light but they look pretty.”

“I’m looking forward to seeing what we can recycle in the gardens with the kids. They’re great and always find a use for things the adults would throw in the skip. They don’t know any different having been brought up not to throw things away. There are even places where you can take old furniture and they sell it for Charity, there’s one near Pontypridd. The trend seems to be for ‘shabby chic’ now so that lends itself to recycling and using older pieces. We recently turned an old bath panel into a piece of art for the wall. You have to be creative – it’s great to stretch the imagination. We are going to be turning an old caravan into a den for a 15 year old so he can have his own space. I think that’s probably the ultimate in recycling.”

For more information on the George Thomas Hospice Celebrity Ladies Day Ascot Dinner and other events that the Charity organise, contact Sharon Owen on 02920524150 or visit www.george-thomas-hospice.org.uk

These Boots are made for Walking


As Alex says, walking is very good for you and what could be better than raising money and awareness whilst you walk. The British Heart Foundation is holding the Brecon Beacons Challenge on Midsummer’s Day, 21st June. The event challenges you to complete a three peak, 12 mile course in the beautiful National Park. Not only is it a great way to keep your own heart healthy but also an opportunity to help the thousands of children and adults living with heart disease. I was horrified to learn that every 2 minutes someone has a heart attack in the UK and half of those will be fatal. So make a note in your diary, stretch your legs, enjoy the fresh air and make a difference.
Contact Delyth Lloyd on 02920 382406 or 07885 435655 or email her at lloydd@bhf.org.uk

Recycle the Recognised and the Random

For ideas on how to reuse and recycle familiar and more bizarre items visit www.recyclethis.co.uk Suggestions include using old dustbins for storing compost, animal food or tools, as a rain water butt or planting potatoes and other veg. Old tyres can be made into a swing, a mini propagator or a wormery and even old branches could become beautiful decorative candle holders. Ahead of his time maybe, I remember my Granddad making me a hamster house from an old TV set, though I don’t think today’s ultra-thin sets would have the same ‘kerb appeal’.

Did You Know?
Described as the Gardening Catwalk, Chelsea Flower Show is in its 85th year and is attended by over 157,000 people – that’s about half the population of Cardiff. This year the trend was considered to be ‘green’, hmmm – no kidding?
www.lynneallbutt.co.uk